Kiss of Deception (Book 1 from the Remnant Chronicles)
By: Mary E. Pearson
Genre: High Fantasy
Bang Bang Rating:
My favorite book of the year!
Lia, a First Daughter, is betrothed to a prince she has never met to bring peace to the kingdoms. Lia believes in love and doesn’t want to be used as a pawn so she runs. In her new life, Lia meets two charming men; however, one is the prince determined win her love and bring her back and one is an assassin who is hired to kill her.
Dang, That was Good!
- Well written. So many YA books are black and white. There is a villain and a hero and the hero defeats to villain. Kiss of Deception had many grays. You have to pay attention to everyone’s name, the advice Lia is given, and the stories and songs interspersed between the chapters because it all comes full circle. I can’t say too much without spoilers so I’ll leave it at that.
- No Lazy Writing. Every journey, every conversation, every encounter drives the plot. So pay attention. It’s soooo much more than a love triangle/love story. It’s about the history of the country and Lia’s destiny and the dragon.
- Characters. No two characters share the same voice. Lia is a dreamer and wants to find love and she makes no apologies for it. After reading recently The Graceling, Mortal Heart, and the novellas from the Throne of Glass; I’m used to assassin heroines. I’m not used to heroines who WANT to be a wife and mother. Lia can defend herself but only because she had brothers. otherwise; she’s a bit of a damsel. But that’s okay and the book explains this.
- There are other characters that you are not quite sure if they are good or bad and you won’t know until book 2.
- Every character has a purpose and will resurface in subsequent books.
- World Building. Pearson describes it in a way that you can picture it vividly. Once again, pay attention because there are surprises! Here are some spoilers.
- There are a lot of questions and the important plot questions were answered. Even though it ends on a cliffhanger, you come away satisfied with the ending.
- Overall, it was the writing that made this book great. I can’t talk too much about without spoiling it.
That’s Too Bad, Dang
- It was REALLY slow but there’s a lot of information in those pages. Some people might get bored. It is an epic fantasy novel and they spend weeks traveling. It’s also an epic romance which means they spend many days courting.
Kiss of Deception is a very slow moving book but it has many layers, it has well-rounded characters, and has great world-building. It’s a novel that requires you to think and make connections. No book has ever made me yell out loud like this one. I immediately texted two co-workers and told them to read this book ASAP because I needed someone to discuss it with.
I can’t say it enough-Pay attention to all the interludes, her journey, and the characters.
I loved this book soooo much that I was on the Fierce Reads Street Team to promote it. I chose photography and I used by teen patrons as models. Here are their pics.