An Ember in the Ashes (Author says it’s a stand alone but it’s clearly going to be a series).
By Sabaa Tahir
Genre: High Fantasy
Expected Publication: April 2015
Bang Bang Rating: 4.5 / 5
Laia is a Scholar, the lowest of the low, and her brother has been taken by The Masks. He is her only living family member and she will risk her life to find him. Elias is a Mask but he doesn’t want to be. Laia and Elias’ paths cross when Laia goes undercover as a slave at Elias’ military school to get information on her brother.
Dang, That Was GOOD
I wasn’t expecting much when I picked up the book because of the cover. I know, I know. you shouldn’t judge a book by…blah, blah, blah.
I’m a big fan of epic/high fantasy and I read A Lot of them. Sometimes this genre can be predicable and been-there-done-that; however, An Ember in the Ashes was very unpredictable and exciting.
1. The romances and the characters were written well.
2. The story wasn’t confusing or convoluted. Laia had a clear mission, rescue her brother-nothing confusing about that.
3. Tahir wasn’t afraid to write heartless characters or to beat her characters to the brink of death.
4. There was never a lull in the action.
That Too Bad, Dang
My only problems, which is the reason for he 4.5 and not 5, are:
1. Not enough questions were answered. Just one major answer would have given it a 5 and when you read the book, you’ll know what question I’m referring to.
I REALLY liked this book. It was unpredictable and never boring. The villains were nasty and the protagonist grew. If you can get your hands on the ARC, I highly recommend it.