In library land we have two seasons, summer reading and the rest of the year. For most of us, we have been planning for summer reading since September, but for others (ahem…my library) we are still planning.
This is a place to share your plans or ideas for summer reading. If you would like to link up your blog with your ideas click the button below. Or you can share your plans in the comment box.
Lip Sync Battles
- Willy Wonka-lip sync battles are making a come back. If you were a kid in the 80’s, you’d probably remember that show, Puttin’ on the Hits. There’s a sing a long DVD of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (the original). Teens will get a fun size chocolate bar. One of them will have a golden ticket. The golden ticket recipient will get a prize.
- Teens will split up into pairs or teams and lip sync the songs. Winning teams will receive a prize.
- Pitch Perfect-We will do the same thing as Willy Wonka but I’ll teach them the cup pass.
Battle of the Garage Bands
- Our community isn’t the teen band type of community but they love iPads. So, teens will use iPads to create their own song. It can be an instrumental, rap, or lyrical.
Auto Tune Book Reviews
- We stole this idea from somewhere but it’s basically what the title says. I have a T-Pain auto tuning microphone. You can purchase one from Amazon.com. Teens will do book reviews into the mic.
Book of YA
- We stole this idea from another library-I can’t remember which one.
- The idea is for teens to take a YA novel of their choice and turn it into a musical. The teens will be the directors, writers, and choreographers. We’ll have a big production at the end of the summer. I’ve done this before with a short film but never a musical so we’ll so how this go.
Sheet Music Crafts
- We don’t know exactly what we are making but we do know we’ll be using sheet music. We get our ideas from Pinterest. Here’s my board.
Book Display & Books
I will make a giant iPod that will list our summer playlist (books). The books on the iPod will be put on display. I will create a playlist for each book. The playlist will be songs that are mentioned in the books. The playlist will be made into a bookmark to will go inside each book and will be next to the book with a QR Code. We will also display soundtracks from YA book to films such as TFIOS, City of Bones, and Divergent.
The Books & The Playlist
- Eleanor & Park
- This Song will Save Your Life
- Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda
- Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist
- The Disenchantments
- Are You Experienced
- The Carnival at Bray
- Just Listen
- No Place to Fall
- Five Flavors of Dumb
Share your plans with the linky or the comment box.